None of these are secrets! You have probably heard them before. But are you actually doing them? Here’s how I keep myself in check:
1) Schedule it. I know if I write down my workout, I will get it done. This also goes for anything else I need/want to get done- I write it in my agenda otherwise I forget, forget, forget. My mom brain has gotten worse as Frankie has gotten older.
2) Avoid sitting for too long. Sitting for prolonged periods of time has been proven to be hazardous to our healths. Remember this when watching Christmas movies with your family- get up and stretch occasionally.
3) Drink up! Water that is, not sugary stuff. Many people track their food intake. I say, track your water intake. I have an oversized water bottle that I refill several times a day. I drink at least 1 gallon of water a day.
4) A little bit is better than nothing when it comes to exercise. This is so true now that I’m a mom, especially one who is at home. My “me” time is pretty much non-existent, so I rely on naps to get stuff done around the house or for my R+F biz. Sometimes I do wall sits or push-ups or jump squats while playing with Frankie. Get creative!
5) Indulge a few times, but not the whole Season! We only live once, so go to the Christmas parties but just be smart. If you really want to try the desserts, snack on the lower calorie appetizers and limit your alcoholic drinking. Tonight I’ll be going to a Cookie Exchange Party and trust me when I say I will be enjoying a few but I also made sure to have a light dinner instead of my usual filling one.
6) Don’t make a New Year’s resolution to stay in shape- stay in shape ALL YEAR LONG! If you simply can’t get yourself to do all of the above, then it’s time to consider investing in yourself. Find a fitness coach to help you stay motivated and accountable. Find a friend who has similar goals and try to workout together if you can.
Thank you following my blog this year! I wish each and every one of you a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season! May 2017 be full of blessings!
In my family, Christmas Eve is a bigger deal than the next day. We cook delicious food, make “clericó”, a Paraguayan sangria-like punch, and plenty of desserts and gather at my one aunt’s house. This year I made pizzelles to add a little bit of Italian flair to the table. We eat dinner around 10, play drinking games (non-alcoholic for me this year), and then toast our Savior’s birth at midnight. We then exchange gifts and party a bit more.
The next day we go to church and then usually my husband and I go to meet up with his family, but this year, we met up with my family again since we didn’t want to be too far from the hospital. Baby Hicky still has no interest in gracing us with his presence!
People were shocked when I told them I did this workout on Christmas Eve morning. I was secretly hoping that it would help kick off labor!
6 rounds of:
60 jump ropes
24 mountain climbers
24 push presses
24 plié lunges
I posted it on Instagram, which reminds me, you should follow me on there as I tend to post more often there. My handle is @juliafastinista.
I’m feeling extremely grateful as I reflect on all the great memories and great gifts from the past few days and pray to God to watch over those who weren’t as lucky to at least have a roof over their heads and be surrounded by their loved ones.
My hubby outdid himself and got me lots of fun bling. The David Yurman necklace is blue topaz which is Baby’s birthstone and hubby said it’s from the stork aka my push gift 😁🤗…now Baby better be here by the end of the month!
The Chanel earrings are one of the gifts I got from my mom. I will cherish this gift forever knowing that my loving, hardworking mom went above and beyond to buy me something of such value.
I hope you all have special memories from the past few days. Whether there were fancy gifts under the tree or not, we all have so much to be thankful for.
I can finally say that Baby Hicky’s room is ready and the only thing missing is Mr Hicky himself. I’ve never experienced this type of anticipation before…
I now introduce you to my little prince’s nursery.
The little toy train we got from Pottery Barn Kids and the elephant collection belonged to his Daddy. Most of those elephants are antiques.
The dresser, changing table, crib and floating shelves were hand-me-downs from family members.
The curtains were hand made by my mom. The painting was a gift painted by a local artist. We didn’t even realize at first how it matched our front yard…we’ve got a big tree on our front lawn and a river across the street 🙂
We saw this little puppy when we went into Walgreens today and his dad said he had to have it!
Close up of the little toy train.
His bedding (and the fun, colorful rug) is all from Pottery Barn Kids.
As you can see, we opted for a bright, boyish room with some eclectic details. We didn’t want the room to be too “babyish” and have to redo it again a year later. It’s all ready and waiting for you, Baby!
I’m really happy with the results! What do you think?
Today we hosted my husband’s sister and her family for an early Christmas celebration since we won’t see them on actual Christmas. I’m sure many of you also either hosted or attended Holiday parties… I just love this time of year! I do miss my family in South America though; that’s the bittersweet part. It was 2 years ago that I was there with them and my grandmother was still alive. Great memories that I’ll cherisfh forever 😔
Although we haven’t gotten a tree yet, I did manage to pull out a few decorations and cleaned the house a little bit to have our house look presentable. We’re in the process of having the house painted (almost done!) So it was great having some freshly painted rooms to hang out in.
Last week I felt a big change in my energy levels. I was practically in bed all week, feeling oh so tired. Only made it to CrossFit on Monday and did one at home workout on Wednesday…or was it Thursday? Pregnancy brain has hit me full-on by the way! I’m super forgetful and can’t do math anymore 😕
I did manage to do a mini at home WOD today using my dumbbells. Check it out:
5 Rounds of
12 bicep curls
12 strict presses
30 sec wall sits
30 side bends
10 pulsing lunges (each leg)
15 air squats
It’s all about taking it easy at this point, nothing heavy and no brusque movements. I’m focusing on keeping my core engaged as usual. I’m very happy that I’ve managed to only gain a healthy amount of weight of just under 20 pounds. Although it seems like I’ve been wanting junk food the past few days 🙈 so maybe that number will creep up over the next couple of weeks. Oops!
Just a few more days of work this week and then I go on maternity leave. I’m hoping to post more often then.